Wednesday, October 25, 2006

You Want HOW Much???

For AIR???

Remember back before cell phones, when your mother used to tell you to make sure you always had a quarter in case you needed to make a phone call?

Now you almost have to take out a loan if you have a low tire and need air.

I was out and about one night, running some errands before I had to pick my daughter up from school. Noticed a tire was low, stopped at a gas station, they wanted 75 cents to air up the tire. Yes, 75 cents!

“Forget that,” I said, and went on down the road to another station. Same thing. “Well,” I thought, “I think it will make it until I head back the other way and can hit Quik Trip for FREE air.” So I went about my business.

I came out from Wal-Mart, saw the tire, and thought “oh dear.” (Ok, I WOULD have thought that if I weren’t so irritated.) I didn’t think I should be driving across the street, let alone all the way to Quik Trip. So I hit one of those red things, I think it was Conoco, but it might have been Philips 66, on the corner.

That’ll be 75 cents—and the darn machine didn’t even say “please.” In go my three quarters. Nothing. I was getting more irritated by the minute and hubby wasn’t around, so I hit the machine. Still nothing. It ended up costing a full dollar to get air.

It’s highway robbery, I tell you!!

But thanks, Quik Trip, for having free air available, I hope you keep it that way.

Flo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neehner neehner HollyB ;-)

Yeah, I've been annoyed about this same topic for a while. Did your station also charge for "car" water, too? There are several places up here that do. Sheesh, tough if you need to fill up your windshield washer, or gawd forbid your radiator needs a drink.

Whatever happened to stations having an actual GARAGE on premises? You know, the local fixit garage you went to when you blew a fan belt or needed a new fuse? Those were the same stations that would not only provide air for FREE but would cheerfully check all four tires for proper inflation - then be offended when you offered to pay for their expertise.

You might want to pick up a can of "fix-a-flat" and throw it in your trunk just in case...

HollyB said...

What trunk? Her Miata has a trunk?
And so what if you commentted 1st? She loves me bestest!!! Wanker!

Matt G said...

Curious how the gas stations and convenience stores are tripping over quarters on their way to dollars.

A local convenience store here sells gasoline at, on average, a nickel a gallon more than the other gas stations nearby. But it has a hose attached to a full-sized compressor tank, with nary a charge. I often go there and buy petrol, and check my tires while I'm there. Often I'll also pick up a fountain drink and maybe even spring for a bag of chips. The owner there correctly figured that the cost of the air compressor, tank, hose, and maintence would completely offset by the increased business. I often have to wait at the pumps, even though the gas is more expensive. That guy's going to go far.

Why is it so hard for the others to grasp?