Thursday, March 01, 2007

How I Get Gray Hair

So, did you hear the one about the college student distraught over his grades and claimed to have anthrax and had planted a bomb? Yep, sure did, right at MFS’s college.

I get a call from Lainy, asking how MFS is. I said, “I’m sure he’s absolutely fine as always, he never calls his mother, you know.” She said, “Seriously, is he ok?” I said, “What are you talking about?” She said, “You haven’t seen the news?” I said, “What, did they have more tornadoes or was there another fire?” (It’s been a rather interesting year for the school. Bad storms a while back with tornadoes, but the campus was fine. Not long ago a fire broke out in one of the dorms, the one MFS is in, but it was on the other side of the building and there wasn’t much damage. Of course, I hear about all of this after the fact, and not from MFS.)

So she proceeds to tell me about the student that said he had anthrax and was going to blow up an engineering building. Ok, well, it’s an engineering college, most of the buildings are engineering.

I go looking around the internet and find some information. Turns out it happened at 0230 and they believe the white powdery substance was powered sugar. Twenty three people were decontaminated just to be on the safe side. Bomb squads and even Homeland Security were called in. That also turned out to be a hoax.

The graduate student is in custody and “may” face charges. His name has not been released, although it has been said he is an international student.

Even Lovi called later, wanting to know if I had heard from MFS. Of course not. I ended up calling him later myself. “Gee Son, thanks for keeping your poor mother informed about what’s going on. It’s been on national news.” He said, “Really? I didn’t know that. It really wasn’t a big deal.” “Uh huh, and you didn’t call your mother because……it wasn’t a big deal? Or you were in isolation for exposure to anthrax?” “Well it happened two in the morning, I wasn’t anywhere around.” “I see. And a bomb couldn’t be set on a timer for when students were in the building? Do you have classes in that building?” “Yeah, that’s where I have calc every day.”

Lord, give me strength.

Flo

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, and as I was driving topless yesterday I noticed a couple NEW gray hairs and immediently thought of Matthew.

Tell him I'm whooping his behind this weekend for not calling his mother. Of course, my own son's have left me wondering what's going on in situation's so get used to it mom.

HollyB said...

Gee, Mom...I'm 18, 10' tall, Bullets bounce off my chest, and I'm gonna live forever. Take a chill pill, already.
Now you know why I have SILVER and white hair!
How many times do I have to remind you?...GRAY is a dull color. There is NOTHING dull about you. Therefore your hair is SILVER not gray! And Lainy, from what I've heard about you, and the comments you leave here, and on my blog and Lovi's...this applies to YOU, too.

Flo said...

Heaven forbid! We're anything BUT dull, right Lainy? Maybe we'll see that poor man at Wal-Mart again and give him something to laugh about. We're going to have to come up with a better excuse to run off by ourselves, though. "It's 150 in the shade and the guys are working so hard up on the roof, we need more ice for their drinks," isn't going to cut it this time, I don't think.

Anonymous said...

Ya, lets take our gray headed butts to the nearest liquer store!