Friday, April 06, 2007

Happy Sweet Sixteen

Sixteen years ago, at 2235, My Favorite Daughter (ok, so she’s the only daughter—same with My Favorite Son) was brought kicking and screaming into this world at Arlington Memorial Hospital.

She caused me grief from the very beginning.

The doctor came in to my room the next morning to tell me MFD had spent the night in the Special Care Nursery because she had Transient Tachypnea of the Newborn (TTN), etiology unknown. That meant her breathing was fast on occasion, and they didn’t know why. However, the possible causes were serious, and I think my brain shut down by the time he started talking about those.

After several extra days in the hospital and four months on a cardiopulmonary monitor with only a rare false alarm, it was my opinion that because she was being difficult (as usual, I have come to find out after 16 years) and was born “sunny side up,” she just didn’t get the stuff squished out of her lungs and it took a little time for her to get over it.

She’s grown into quite the awesome young lady. Challenging at times, but bright, talented, caring, and beautiful.

This morning I gave her a small rose arrangement and a card, just from Mom. When I was young, my mom gave each of us girls a yellow rose when we turned 13, and a red rose when we turned 16. So I’m sort of carrying on the tradition.

She and her dad joined my friends and I for our regular Friday morning breakfast. Then she had an appointment to get her hair cut, and practice for the school musical.

THEN, her dad took her to the license bureau. She got a 94%. [sigh] The streets will no longer be safe. Be on the lookout for a gold Mazda Protégé.

We’ll be going to Red Lobster for dinner, then home for ice cream, cake, and presents.

Then I think I’ll be going to bed to cry cuz my baby’s growing up.

Happy Birthday, Baby Girl.

Love,
Mom

3 comments:

Ambulance Driver said...

Awwww. Here's to ya and your Most Favorite Daughter, Flo.

No matter how old she gets, she'll always be your baby.

Anonymous said...

They grow up to fast. Tell my sweet niece Happy Birthday!

HollyB said...

Yesh, indeed, they do grow up too fast. AMH has had the honor of hosting MY chirrens arrival to this world, too. I didn't realise we had THAT commonality until I read this post. [shaking head at yet another parallel]
I STILL call my daughter Angel Baby Girl and she's 11 yrs older than your dtr, so she can be your "baby" a while longer.
Don't cry too much, it'll make your eyelids puffy.