Tuesday, August 28, 2007

I Must Be The Youngest Mother Alive...

…because my daughter seems to think I was born yesterday.

Our adorable church accompanist is leaving in a couple of weeks to attend the Berkley College of Music in Boston. So we had a nice little reception for her after Mass the other day.

After a while, I noticed MFD wasn’t around and when a couple others asked where she was, I went out to see if her car was still there or if she had just up and left. She was sitting on the curb by her car, talking with one of the ensemble members. She said she wasn’t feeling well and had gone outside for some fresh air. So I told her the guest of honor wanted to talk to her and she needed to be getting back inside.

She came inside a little bit later with a big grin on her face and some kid trailing behind her. She told me That Kid drove for a whole hour to surprise her.

Surprise. Uh huh.

So we have a little discussion when That Kid is gone:

Me: So how did That Kid happen to know to surprise you at church?
MFD: Well, I had told him that we were having a little party and I be hanging out for a while after church.
Me: Uh huh. So, you didn’t invite him to meet you?
MFD: No.
Me: So he decides to crash the party? Invites himself to this party for someone he doesn’t know?
MFD: I guess so.
Me: So how did you happen to meet this kid if he lives an hour away?
MFD: Well, somehow, he and the members of his band managed to get in to the Back to School Dance.
Me: Really? The dance that was for OHS students only.
MFD: Yeah.
Me: Uh huh. So these non-OHS kids got into a dance they weren’t supposed to be at, and none of the chaperones noticed anything.
MFD: I guess.
Me: You know, this just isn’t sounding right.
MFD: Well I don’t know what else to tell you.
Me: I guess the truth would be a little too much to ask, huh? So you’re telling me you’re ok with a guy that thinks nothing of being rude or breaking rules?
MFD: I didn’t look at it like that.

Oh, now I get it. I wasn’t born yesterday, but obviously I’m suffering a concussion from falling off the turnip truck.

Flo

7 comments:

HollyB said...

OH, MOOOOOOOOM, you just don't GET it, do you?
Who's cell phone was she using? You could just get her one that will only dial you, KSA or 911. I'm sure with the technology there are ways to do that.
You're welcome.
And yes, I know I'm evil. And you can tell her that you are NOT the meanest or dumbest Mom in the world. I still hold that title, I believe. Although, from what I hear, Crazy Baby may be running a close 2nd.

HollyB said...

My grammar skills are really circling the toilet! That should have been "Whose"

DW said...

Like my oldest step daughter, admits to being told "no more texting, they cost money." She said ok. Next month 350 text messages. Told her again. Said OK, again. Checked soon after and found about 40 more. Blocked texting. Now I'm the bad guy!

Anonymous said...

Yes Holly I'm running close with you.

I put my daughter on a plan where she can't go over her minutes and all I hear is 200 texts are not enough and I REALLY need free nights and weekends. I told her to get a J-O-B and she can have anything on her phone her little heart desires.

You have to understand that she had all those fancy features until I called her and she refused to answer because she only had 3 minutes and I was wasting her minutes. Excuse me!, but the whole idea of a cell phone for a 16 yr. old is to keep in touch with mom. She's now mad because next month she'll have no cell. Hardy har har

Bitch, isn't it?

Flo said...

Oh no, ladies, I still win. MY 16 y/o, that drives and still goes to school, does NOT have a cell phone.

I know what you mean, DW. Another reason she doesn't have the cell phone is because the three weeks she had it, she was told "no texts." I get the phone bill. Hmm. "MFD, did you text, even though I told you not to?" "Well, maybe a few."

Yeah. Just a few. Try over 1000. No warning--I took the phone away that day.

Anonymous said...

Okey dokey Flo wins!

phlegmfatale said...

omg - over 1000 texts??? Sheesh!