Thursday, August 09, 2007

Legislation Allows Veterans to Salute the Flag

Perhaps one of my learned readers can answer a couple of questions for me. I received the following in an e-mail:

There is new legislation that clarifies allowing Veterans and service members not in uniform to salute the flag. This may seem like a small change, but all Veterans can now render a smart hand salute to the flag during all appropriate public events.


WASHINGTON, D.C. - Senator Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) today praised the passage by unanimous consent of his bill (S.1877) clarifying U.S. law to allow veterans and servicemen not in uniform to salute the flag. Current law (US Code Title 4, Chapter 1) states that veterans and servicemen not in uniform should place their hand over their heart without clarifying whether they can or should salute the flag.

"The salute is a form of honor and respect, representing pride in one's military service," Senator Inhofe said. "Veterans and service members continue representing the military services even when not in uniform. "Unfortunately, current U.S. law leaves confusion as to whether veterans and service members out of uniform can or should salute the flag. My legislation will clarify this regulation, allowing veterans and servicemen alike to salute the flag, whether they are in uniform or not.

"I look forward to seeing those who have served saluting proudly at baseball games, parades, and formal events. I believe this is an appropriate way to honor and recognize the 25 million veterans in the United States who have served in the military and remain as role models to others citizens. To those who are currently serving or have served in the military have earned this right, and their recognition will be an inspiration to others."


My questions concern the following statement: Veterans can now render a smart hand salute to the flag during all appropriate public events.”

Question 1: What are considered appropriate public events? The senator refers to baseball games, etc. However, what I have seen of the wording of the bill states only when raising, lowering, or passing by of the flag. I did not see anything about the Pledge of Allegiance or the national anthem, which are other times Service Members would salute the flag. Although the Pledge of Allegiance is covered under Title 4, Chapter 1, the national anthem is in a completely different Title.

Keeping in mind that I am from the Show Me State, can anyone provide a link that specifically covers this?

Question 2: I have seen this posted on various forums and passed around in e-mails as if this bill is in effect now. How can that be? Unless my references are not the latest, I show that the bill still has to pass the House and then be signed by the President. Am I missing something, or is this a special bill?

I would be proud to post this as factual—if I knew it was, in fact, a done deal. However, it would embarrass me greatly if I posted something that turned out to be inaccurate. It’s this quirk I have.

Can anyone out there help me?

Flo

6 comments:

DW said...

Flo,
I belive you are correct, it has to pass the same as any law and be sighned.
On the other hand, if I decide to salute the flag, chastise me at your own risk. (not you specifically)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Flo - -

Apparently it was passed by the Senate 25JUL2007. Perhaps you can make more out of the text at - -
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:s1877:

Under House of reps, it shows, "Referred by the Senate" on 26JUL. See - -
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?r110:2:./temp/~r110DT6x9e::

Does the H. of Reps need to take additional action? Does it need to go to the President. I must confess WOEFUL ignorance concerning the3 process.

How's the new doggie gurrl?

Best
JPG

Flo said...

I'm with ya, DW.

JPG-Thanks for checking things out. That was pretty much the same thing I found. The House sent it to the (I think) Judicial Committee, and nothing since then.

Allie still has some potty issues, but I'm trying to keep a closer eye on and taking her out more often. Hopefully she'll realize she's being praised for going outside.

The vet took a fatty tumor off her chest the other day. It was fine, but she was pissed at me that night and didn't sleep on her mat by my side of the bed.

Other than that, she's adorable, and the vet said she's healthy. Thanks for asking. ;-)

Catmoves said...

I've written to my Senator regarding this Bill. Will post on my site when I hear something.

Anonymous said...

I can't find anymore out than you did, Flo. Let me know if you do find out.

Flo said...

Thanks, Catmoves!

And will do, Lainy.