Monday, July 23, 2007

I'm So Lucky

Guess what I got to do for my birthday. (Not you, Holly and Lainy, you already know.) You’ll never guess. Give up? Are you ready for this? You better sit down. You ladies are going to be so jealous you don’t have a husband like mine. I don’t know what I did to deserve such a man.

I had the pleasure of…

…sitting in the tractor and baling hay most of the day.

Yep, that’s right. Overwhelming, isn’t it? Just screams “I love you.”

Ok, it really wasn’t that bad. I haven’t baled for years. MFS took over when he could handle the tractor, then KSA went to round bales. This year he’s got some good brome hay, so he decided to square bale it and sell to horse owners. And since MFS had to work and MFD doesn’t do tractors, I got to do it.

Brought back so many memories. There’s nothing like the smell of diesel, except for maybe JP-4. I forgot ear plugs, so I couldn’t hear KSA half the time. Getting hot and sweaty and dirty…what a way to spend your birthday, huh?

Didn’t take me long to get back into the swing of things. It’s really not that complicated, but you do have to keep an eye on things. Get the RPM up, plant the tire on the edge of the wind row, make sure the baler doesn’t get clogged. Then you just daydream or sing to yourself. It was while we were baling at the other farm that I got the bright idea to sell that farm, get something smaller and move closer to town.

Huh. Maybe that’s why I didn’t bale any more.

Ah well, it all worked out. And I still had a nice day.

Flo

7 comments:

Ambulance Driver said...

Obviously KSA was giving you a birthday treat by letting you drive the tractor instead of tossing bales. ;)

Anonymous said...

I told you what to do to get out of it, but NO you don't listen to me. If you would have walked out there half nekked he would have stopped in a second, then after all that romping you could have pretended to hurt your finger. It's what I'd have done.

You did get cheesecke and gifts. Glad it turned out good in the end.

HollyB said...

You got to bale hay and I got to mow...it's eerie how GOOD our hubbys are to us, isn't it?

Flo said...

Uh huh, I'm sure you'd have been just as thoughtful, huh AD?

Yeah, such GOOD hubbys, Holly.

Lainy, I told YOU that it wouldn't matter if I went out there COMPLETELY nekkid, I'd still be baling hay. He's blind and got no sense of humor when it's time to put hay up!

Ambulance Driver said...

Of course I'm thoughtful! Back when I was married, I always made it a point to bring lemonade to the Missus when she was mowing the yard, no matter how hot it was or how much that blazing sun hurt my eyes. I'm a giver that way.

I even swapped her riding mower for a push mower and a pirogue, just so she could get some exercise while she mowed, too!

And to think the woman left me for another man! The nerve!

Flo said...

Good heavens, what WAS she thinking, AD? Giving up a catch like you!

;-) You know we all adore you.

phlegmfatale said...

Happy belated birthday, hon!