Wednesday, July 25, 2007

We're Adopting!

A dog, of course.

Her name is Adrianna (Addie) and she’s a 5-year old tri-colored Sheltie. She is very sweet and adorable and loves attention.

I went to the adoption clinic last month to look at a couple of dogs they had. Addie was in her crate when I first got there, but she got up when I came by, looking for attention. Later, when I was sitting around with a couple of the other dogs and Addie was out on a leash, she came over to me several times on her own. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. She wasn’t one I had originally gone to see—I was looking more for a sable, with perky ears, on the younger side. But she was on my list for consideration when I left.

I was sick the next clinic, so I didn’t go. Addie’s picture was gone from the website shortly after that. I thought, “Oh well, she must have been adopted.” She wasn’t gone for long, though.

The rescue group had gotten several new Shelties, so MFD and I set out Saturday to take a look. I asked, and Addie’s foster mom said someone had tried to adopt her, but evidently had problems with her potty habits. She’s not one to rush out and do her business, and I guess they didn’t want to wait so long.

I never said anything to MFD. I was sitting with a couple of the other dogs when MFD came over and said Addie was the one. I even tried to dissuade her—“look at this one with the beautiful blue eyes.” “Addie is 5-years old, don’t you think we should look at one a little younger?” Nope, Addie was the one.

[sigh]

She comes to me on her own…she’s adopted, then she’s not…she’s the one MFD picks out. What other signs do I need?

One of the gals from the rescue group had called last week to see if I was still looking. I had already put in an application and she said she had checked my vet references and I was approved for adoption as soon as I had a fenced in area. We’ve got a walk-out basement with retainer walls on two sides, so we just needed to close off the fourth side, and I told MFD and KSA that’s what I wanted for my birthday.

Baling, delivering, and stacking hay put that on hold, but I told KSA we’d picked our dog, so he made it his priority (once the hay was done, of course) and got it done Monday evening. Someone came out yesterday to check and approve it. Now we’re just waiting for her foster mom to call back to make arrangements to get her.

Addie came from a puppy mill, which surprises me a little because she seems friendlier than a lot of the puppy mill dogs I’ve seen. Those breeders are so disgusting, the only thing they love about the animals they have is the money they can make off of them. A couple of the latest dogs were rescued just days before the owner would have shot them. He was moving and couldn’t take them with him. I just cannot fathom such a callous and heartless being.

But, I think a lot of Addie’s attitude is due to the love and care of her foster mom. And now, like the man throwing the starfish back into the sea, I’m making a difference in the life of at least one girl that’s been rescued. I just hope, for Addie’s sake, that the transition to her furrever home is a smooth one.

Flo

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you and my favorite niece. Finally!

Anonymous said...

Illustration, please.

Images.

PICXTHURES!!!

(I'm very glad for you.)

JPG

HollyB said...

Yesh, we must have pix! ASAP, Double Quick! Snap Snap. You KNOW I'm no good @ delayed gratifacshun, no, gracious, gratfiction, no, you know that thing where you have to wait for what you want!

phlegmfatale said...

You and Addie were obviously meant to be together. I'll bet she'll settle in and thrive with you. Dogs SO want to please, and that's part of their irresistable charm. I'm happy for you. We'll look forward to her photos.