Sunday, January 14, 2007

Bravo

The guitar has to be one of the most diverse instruments ever created. It is one of few that can be played as a solo instrument with a range of expression almost as extensive and unique as the human voice.

Of course, it takes a master musician to generate such distinct sounds.

And that would not be me. Even with my MPD, the only one of us that can play the guitar just strums to have a little fun.

When I was in Officer Candidate School, one of my fellow candidates gave me one of her guitars and showed me how to play some chords. Then she gave me a songbook that she handmade with chords written out to songs I liked. She put a lot of time and love into that book.

That guitar and book became my stress reliever. In nursing school, when alkalosis and acidosis blurred my vision; or in flight school, when memorizing emergency procedures and limitations gave me a headache, I’d pull out the guitar and do a little pickin’ and a grinnin’.

Fast forward a year or two or twenty.

My Favorite Daughter has been taking classical guitar lessons for six years now, four of those with one of the best teachers in the area. After one lesson, he knew she had a gift and has been encouraging her ever since.

We are fortunate to have a Conservatory of Music in our area, along with a Guitar Society. These organizations arrange to have national and international artists come to play in concert and offer master classes.

MFD was privileged to be one of four metro area students chosen to perform yesterday afternoon in a master class with William Kanengiser. Last evening, Hubby, MFD, and I attended his concert.

William Kanengiser is a master musician.

Mr. Kanengiser’s repertoire includes music from the great composers such as Mozart and Handel, Eastern European, and Caribbean; traditional, folk, and jazz. His performance last night included African music, and his guitar sounded like the tribal drums. To accomplish that feat, he used…..staples.

Yes, ordinary staples, slightly bent and attached to two strings.

Awesome.

And we’ve added four new CDs to our guitar collection.

Flo

3 comments:

HollyB said...

How marvelous for your family to be able to hear such an accomplished musician!
And what a fabulous opportunity for the BGIT to be able to have a chance to learn at the hands of a Master such as this one!
I enjoyed my talk with her so much the other evening.

Diamond Mair said...

'Nother nice thing about a guitar - it's generally easily portable ................... ;-)

Anonymous said...

She play's beautiful at family gathering's. She very talented and makes wonderful songs flow through the air. It's so good! I really get into it!