Friday, January 12, 2007

Let There Be Light

There are light fixtures in my house. AND—when you flip a switch, they turn on and off!

No, it doesn’t take much to amuse me, and it truly is the little things in life that please me the most. And since there are so many of me to please, that is a very good thing!

Of course I’m talking about the mansion (as Holly calls it) that we’re building. The latest move-in estimate is February. I just don’t know which year.

The insulated concrete walls are up, the roof is on, the stucco is done. We just need gutters and downspouts, and the outside will be complete—as far as construction goes. For now.

Inside framing is done, drywall and paint are on. Light fixtures, cabinets, and countertops are installed. All but one appliance has been delivered, but they won’t be installed at least until the floor tile is finished, which shouldn’t be too much longer. Plumbing fixtures will be next, then we’ll finish out the trim and touch up the paint. The carpet will go down last.

It’s actually coming along well, especially now that we’re getting into the things I’m interested in. I’m afraid I just can’t get excited about the stuff you can’t see. As opposed to paint colors, tile patterns, cabinet stain, and my Shiatsu massaging tub. Hubby says I did a good job selecting the light fixtures. For a man who could not care less what things look like, he’s been pretty particular. Every once in a while, I’ve tried to control costs, then he’s the one that says “Oh NO, you CAN’T put ceramic tile in this house! It HAS to be Italian porcelain.”

At least we haven’t killed each other. The “home automation” guy was out the other day and his comment was: “I see you’re both still together.” To which I replied: “Yeah, and you know what? I haven’t even had to open the Yellow Pages to look for an attorney—divorce or criminal defense!”

Flo

5 comments:

HollyB said...

With all those acres AND that shovel thingy on the tractor you won't NEED a divorce! Heck, you won't even break a nail unless you get sloppy with the tractor controls. Just remember to use gloves.

Diamond Mair said...

Have you looked into the "Roombas" automatic vacuums? Michelle Malkin blogged on hers when she got it - absolutely LOVES it - now if we could just get something to automatically DUST!! ;)
Speaking of gloves, Holly - you can get'em at AutoZone or some variants of Dollar Stores - Brahma gloves with latex covering palms/fingers - they're great as oven mitts ................... ;)

Gay_Cynic said...

Did you remember to cable for CAT5 with a jack every 8' and a full patch rack in the basement? *EVIL TECHY GRIN*

Flo said...

DM, if that's the thing I'm thinking of, my cats would kill it.

CAT5 - check.
Jack every 8' - I dunno, but we've got a bunch.
Patch rack - I dunno about that either, but I'm thinking you might want to pack up that "evil techy grin" and head on up here, Cynic! You can look over the guys' shoulders and make sure they did it correctly!

Holly, would the gloves be to protect my hands, or to hide my fingerprints??

HollyB said...

Both! Remember, leave NO physical evidence, no paper trail and I forget the other clue...but I'll pass it along when I remember.