Sunday, November 19, 2006

Appropriate Church Attire

I’m having an internal debate with my selves, and I guess I’m getting a bit frustrated.

Talking with some friends the other day, we got on the topic of what to wear to church. I said I always figured God didn’t care what I was wearing, He was just glad I was there. Then one of the other gals mentioned that it said in the bible that we are supposed to dress in our best attire.

Ms. Missouri reared up and said: “Show Me.”

So I’ve been searching in spare moments for that passage and can’t find it. I’d be appreciative if someone can point it out for me.

In the meantime, there’s quite a bit of discussion about what to wear to church going on out there in cyberspace. It ranges from ‘be comfortable” to “ dress as if you were attending dinner with a king.” “Modesty” was mentioned quite frequently.

Apparently, you’re not being respectful of God if you aren’t wearing your “Sunday best.” Apparently, you’re a slut if any cleavage shows. Apparently, some people judge you on what you wear to church. Apparently, others judge only themselves.

Obviously, I have only confused myself. There are pros and cons to both sides. However, I find that the “dress in your best” side makes me feel guilty, and that irritates me.

Mind you, I dress nicely for church. However, my idea of nice and other’s idea is probably vastly different. A few pounds ago, I wore dresses or skirts or slacks, but I had plenty of them, and not many occasions other than church to wear them. Now, jeans and a shirt, or even a nice pair of shorts, work for me.

Shorts seem to be one of the most controversial—a big no-no. We go to another church when we are out of town visiting family. A very long time ago, someone said as we were leaving for Mass that shorts were not appropriate for church. I was wearing shorts, but it was dismissed because they were culotte-like.

I never thought anything about it again until we were there this past summer. Being an extremely hot weekend, I was wearing shorts. I really don’t pay attention to what others are wearing in order to judge them, but if your eyes are open, of course you are going to notice things. “I wonder how she got her hair to do that?” “I really like that blouse, I wonder where she got it?”

As people were going to communion, after a while, I got to thinking that I hadn’t seen anyone in shorts. Naturally, I focused on that and checked out everyone else that went by. No shorts, not even on kids. So I started feeling uncomfortably self-conscious.

I’m disgusted with myself for being bothered by what other people might have thought of me. I shouldn’t care. However, now I’m probably going to wonder any time I’m there again during the summer: if I wear shorts, is it because I’m ok with it, or would it be in protest, to say “I don’t care what you think about me?”

I think I’m sticking with the “be comfortable” side. If you’re at church and not trying to turn on the cute next-door neighbor with your clothing, you’re good to go. I know Mass is a celebration and is deserving of my best efforts. But I have to think that if I’m having a bad day and don’t feel like messing with my hair and don’t have anything other than jeans and a t-shirt that’s clean, God would much rather I showed up to church dressed like that, than to not go at all.

I wonder if the people that are upset about what people wear to church still wear a chapel veil, like we were required to do back in the good old days?


Flo

4 comments:

HollyB said...

I'm firmly in the camp of wearing somethin if you're gonna go to church.

Anonymous said...

When I was young I had my "Sunday best" dresses, a hat for Easter, and gloves for church every Sunday. There was serious scandal when the first woman wore, gasp, a pantsuit to services.

I'm from the old school and would prefer to see people take a little time on personal grooming before entering the Sactuary. Hand in hand with that is agreeing with you that God doesn't care what you wear so long as your rear's in the seat. If She doesn't care, why should I? No Wranglers/Levi's or shorts for me but brushed denim is not out of the question.

Lovi said...

I had to take some time to think about it - and since there isn't a NEW post (no pressure) - I've had plenty of time.
While I don't believe you have to go all out, I do believe that it's a sign of respect to dress nicely (at the minimum business casual.) As you go about your week, the Lord is watching over you and sees you at your worst (no makeup, unkempt hair, etc) but when you go to church - it's like you're presenting yourself to him. You'd dress to meet anyone else of importance - why not God? JMHO

HollyB said...

Well, I guess it's time to weigh in with a REAL opinion, rather than my smart-a$$ first opinion.

I, too, was raised in the generation thatwore nice dresses,hats and gloves to church. Since both of my Grandmother's sewed, I always had pretty dresses.
BUT, as an adult, I began to realize GOD doesn't care what you wear to Church. Church is NOT a fashion show. Church is WORSHIP and you can worship in jeans, shorts, a t-shirt, a dress, skirt, a suit, flip-flops, wingtips, or Armani or Prada {even if the Devil DOES wear it}.

If you feel like wearing a dress wear it. If you feel like wearing shorts b/c it's hot, wear the dang shorts! Just wear whatever is clean and fits and is comfortable. The important thing is to be there and share the "Fellowship, one with another" and to worship God and Christ.
With attendance falling at many churches of mainline religions, perhaps a relaxed dress code would get more bodies in the pews.