Saturday, November 25, 2006

My Holiday

I enjoy Thanksgiving. Five of the seven brothers and sisters live out of town/state, so Thanksgiving is usually a reunion for Hubby’s family. We all meet at his sister’s house for dinner Thanksgiving Day.

With Ma, all the brothers and sisters, and their spouses and kids, there are about twenty (give or take) that descend upon the unsuspecting small town. It makes for quite an interesting day. One of my favorite parts is that I don’t have to cook or clean a house before or after the assault.

This year, twenty-two of us sat down at the table to eat a magnificent feast my sister-in-law had prepared. There was the usual catching up to be done, as this is the only time most of us see each other. There was the traditional “I am thankful for…” statement from everyone. There was money to be made and lost by those that played Texas Hold ‘Em. There were dogs to be lost and found. There were children left behind at the park.

Yes, while my son was chasing down an errant tennis ball, everyone else loaded up and left. They thought he was in the other vehicle, so when they got to the house, Hubby had to go back and get him. Poor kid. Good thing he doesn’t have self-esteem issues!

It was a beautiful day to share with family and I’m glad I have such a fun group of in-laws.

Flo

2 comments:

Lovi said...

Sounds like a wonderful day!

HollyB said...

Poor Son! He can come live with ME. I really Love him. And just for the record, I've NEVER, Ever, left one of my chirren behind. Besides, I'll bet tuition is cheaper down here. AND, I have a Bro on faculty at TAMU, the BEST Engineering school, with an unbeatable Alumni association, those Aggies stick together. AND, they beat the Nat'l Champeen Longhorns Friday!!!