Monday, November 06, 2006

Poor Google

I really think they don’t quite know what to do with me. My understanding is that they try to get a feel for your blog to determine what kinds of ads to use.

First, there’s some lag time before the “appropriate” type of ad shows up. Cait was getting a little tired of learning about tumors in cats and dogs, or where to get the best deals for pet meds, before they finally found new material.

Second, it seems they’re evidently only using key words, or some other system besides actually reading the blog. Holly pointed out there was an ad for the Red Cross the other day. And that was after I wrote not one, but two blogs, lambasting the Red Cross—two weeks ago. I guess they figured I didn’t want to volunteer for the Red Cross, maybe I’d want to work for them instead.

I think they’re getting a little more variety now. We’ve moved past the pet info to law enforcement training, flight lessons, nursing schools and degrees, weight loss, and even choir fund raising.

The only thing is, they choose ads based on the content of my blogs, but I’m not allowed to click on those ads. So I can’t find out more about the things I’m interested in!

Although I guess I can see where it would be a problem with clicking on one’s own ads to make money.

Darn it. But just wait until I throw them my next curve ball.

Flo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL - what do you expect from a mere computer when we have our own issues trying to figure out "all of you". I must admit it's a nice change to see ads that don't have anything to do with tumors - canine or feline - ugh!

Love ya, Toots! Oh! Congrats on getting rid of those squiggly line id thingies. Holly's safe from stroking out and I no longer have to deal with my dsylexai, um dyslexia, when trying to post a response - you go girl!

HollyB said...

Ditto Cait's 1st Para.
And what were you trying to say in Blog speak at the beginnin of all those paragraphs? You KNOW I don't speak "Blogger code",dammit! I barely speak English. And it's my Mother tongue.

Great writing by the way. I'm really enjoying reading it!
Love and Hugs,

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...tonight, the ads at the top are for 'Sleep & Get Slim' and 'Try Lunesta for Free.
Les'see...I'm skinnier than Johnny G. and almost as tall. I usually get my usual 3 hours in 24 of sleep without much trouble, too.

Guess I'll go ahead and click through so you'll get a kickback.

Regards,
Rabbit.