Saturday, November 04, 2006

To ID or Not To ID?

Near as I can figure, the Democrats swear that requiring ID to vote is a sinister Republican plot to keep Democrats from voting. Heck, if it’ll keep “Jon Carry” from being elected, I’m all for it.

Can somebody please explain to me exactly what the problem is with requiring ID? You have to prove who you are to get a driver’s license or passport. You have to show your ID to buy cigarettes or liquor. Some places require ID if you use your credit card. Some doctor’s offices are starting to ask for it. I went for a physical therapy evaluation yesterday, and even THAT office wanted my driver’s license.

So why is it “discrimination” to require ID to vote? Is there anybody that doesn’t drive, travel out of the country, buy cigarettes or liquor, use a credit card, or go to the doctor—that wants to vote?

I really don’t understand what the fuss is all about. I think you should have to prove you are who you say you are and that you meet the requirements to vote. Maybe not every single time, although I still don’t see what the big deal is. You have to show them something, it would be a lot easier for me to show them my driver’s license than to try to remember where I keep that stupid little piece of paper they send. Add a little box to the driver’s license for a Y or N that says you’re eligible to vote or not.

If it’s still an issue, at least require the documentation to register to vote. And do away with registering by mail, just to keep everybody honest.


Flo

1 comment:

Flo said...

Too funny, Chad. When are you going to start a blog?

I'm not sure about electronic voting, as I haven't had the pleasure yet. However, when it comes to things electronical, I'm thinking they're only as smart as the operator.

Think that could be a problem?